Pumpkin Chili Recipe.
You can cook Pumpkin Chili using 20 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that. The Best Pumpkin Chili Recipe – Recipe: Tasty Pumpkin Chili
Ingredients of Pumpkin Chili Recipe
- Prepare 1 (3 pound) of pie pumpkin.
- Prepare 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) of unsalted butter.
- It’s 1/2 cup of olive oil.
- You need 1/2 cup of finely ground cornmeal.
- Prepare 2 of medium turnips (about 12 ounces total).
- You need 2 of medium red bell peppers, chopped.
- You need 1 of large onion, chopped.
- Prepare 6 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.
- Prepare 4 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth.
- You need 2 (10 ounce) of cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, such as Rotel.
- You need 2 (16 ounce) of cans chili beans, drained.
- Prepare 2 cups of frozen corn kernels.
- You need 1 tablespoon of chili powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- Prepare of Several dashes vegetarian Worcestershire sauce.
- It’s of Salt.
- You need of Freshly ground black pepper.
- Prepare of Balsamic vinegar.
Pumpkin Chili step by step
- Peel the pumpkin or squash and cut into 1-inch pieces. (To make it easier to peel the pumpkin, cut in half, remove the seeds — and set aside for roasting! — and then microwave each half cut-side down in a shallow dish of water for 5 minutes, or roast the halves at 450°F for about 15 minutes. When the pumpkin is cool enough to handle, shave off the skin with a sharp knife.).
- In a 6-quart or larger Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat. When melted, whisk in the cornmeal until smooth, then stir in the pumpkin, turnip, bell peppers, onion, garlic, and tomato paste. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes..
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes and their juices, beans, and corn. Stir in the chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring back to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer for at least 1 hour, or until the pumpkin and turnip are tender. (It gets even better if simmered longer — a whole afternoon, if you have the time.).
- Before serving, taste and season with salt and pepper and a dash of balsamic vinegar. Serve hot with green onions, shredded cheddar cheese, and sour cream if desired..