Apam Balik – Asian Pancake Recipe. Crispy and fluffy pancake filled with roasted peanuts, sugar, creamy sweet corn, some butter and then folded into half. Apam Balik is a dish that's famous in my home country, Malaysia. It is also a known dish in the nearby countries like Singapore, Indonesia and Brunei.
These days, apam balik comes in a variety of sweet or savoury fillings. Be the first to review this recipe. Heat a nonstick pan and add a ladle of batter. You can have Apam Balik – Asian Pancake using 16 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that. The Best Apam Balik – Asian Pancake Recipe – How to Prepare Delicious Apam Balik – Asian Pancake
Ingredients of Apam Balik – Asian Pancake Recipe
- It’s of The Batter.
- Prepare 3 C of flour.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of sugar.
- You need 3 tsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of baking soda.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 2 1/2 tsp of dry yeast.
- Prepare 3 tsp of vanilla extract.
- It’s 2 of egg (room temperature).
- Prepare 2 1/3 cup of warm milk.
- Prepare of The Filling.
- Prepare as needed of Granulated sugar -.
- You need of Roasted coarsely grind peanuts.
- It’s of (As needed).
- You need of Creamy sweet corn (as needed).
- It’s of butter (as needed).
Cook for a while then add the banana slices. Cover the pan to cook the apam. The pancake is known as different names depending on cultural region. The most common filling is ground peanut and sugar.
Apam Balik – Asian Pancake instructions
- For the batter – place all ingredients in a big mixing bowl. Mix & whisk everything until well combined with no lumps. Cover bowl with a cling film & leave to rest for 30mins in warm place..
- After 30mins, the batter should be foamy & almost double its volume. Give it a whisk before using..
- Cooking – brush some unsalted butter onto a preheated pan. Give batter a whisk before using. For a standard size pan, Pour 3/4 cup of batter on a preheated pan. If using small pancake pan, pour only 1/4 cup of batter (small one is better). Next, swirl & spread batter evenly using the back of the ladle or just tilt your pan in circle motion. Cook over low heat with lid on for 1-2mins until bubbles are formed. Use the lowest heat or your batter will burn..
- Remove the lid. Sprinkle sugar generously (use grated palm/coconut sugar for a distinct flavour), coarsely ground peanuts & few tsp of creamy sweet corn. Put the lid back on again & let it continue cooking until it's fully cooked. This wont take long so it’s best to not overcook..
- Remove the lid. Put tiny slices of butter (optional). Run a spatula all around the edges to release it from the pan. It should come out easily. Fold it in half and serve..
Other fillings include creamed corn, chocolate rice, grated cheese or coconut etc. are also added. The pancake is cooked until golden brown on the crust and fold into halves. Apam Balik is a sweet Malaysian peanut pancake turnover stuffed with a sugary, buttery peanut filling. It gets its name from the way the pancake is folded or 'turned over'. It's a popular street food freshly made in rows of brass pans in the late afternoons when hungry Malaysian would scour for food for tea.