✨Aloor Dum✨ Recipe. Dum Aloo (also spelled as Dam Aloo) or Aloor Dum (Bengali: আলুর দম, Hindi: दम आलू) is a potato based dish, it is a part of the traditional Kashmiri Pandit cuisine. Dum biryani, dum aloo, dum baingan are some of the popular dishes. These dishes are cooked by sealing the pot to trap the steam.
Dum Aloo is a delicious recipe of baby potatoes cooked in a gravy. I am sharing Kashmiri Dum Aloo & rich, creamy, restaurant-style Dum Aloo. Dum Aloo Restaurant Style – Rich Creamy version with North Indian Flavors. You can have ✨Aloor Dum✨ using 19 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook that. The Best ✨Aloor Dum✨ Recipe – Recipe: Appetizing ✨Aloor Dum✨
Ingredients of ✨Aloor Dum✨ Recipe
- You need of For preparing Potatoes.
- It’s 10 of Baby potatoes-.
- Prepare of Olive oil/ Mustard oil – 3 medium size cups.
- You need of Salt.
- You need of For Gravy.
- You need 2 Tbsp of Oil-.
- It’s of Tomato paste – 1 medium size cup/ bowl.
- You need 1/2 cup of Khade Masale-.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Turmeric powder-.
- It’s 1 tsp of Jeera-.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Coriander powder-.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of Deggi Lal Mirch powder-.
- Prepare 1.5 Tbsp of All spice powder(Garam masala) -.
- It’s of Curd – 1 medium size cup.
- It’s of Water 2-3 medium size cups.
- Prepare 3 Tbsp of Cashew paste -.
- You need of Kasuri Methi -1tsp.
- It’s 1 pinch of sugar.
- You need of Salt – as required.
There are some foods that never go out of season, or style. They continue to be relished in different avatars', under different names and different cuisines. Luchi aloor dum is a popular Bengali dish that is prepared as a main course meal on regular days. The dum aloo is prepared by a unique method with special bengali garam masala, which adds to the flavour of the dish.
✨Aloor Dum✨ instructions
- Take a deep bottom utensil/ kadhai, pour in 3 cups of oil & keep it on low flame..
- Peel & wash all the potatoes and boil for 15 min, so that it becomes soft from inside…but do not boil for long…orelse it will turn into mashed potatoes😅.
- Take out all potatoes and put in a bowl with ice cold water (to stop the cooking process), remove it after 5-7 min. With a help of a fork, prick the complete surface of all the potatoes..
- Now, increase the flame of kadhai (which we kept earlier), add all the potatoes🥔 careful and fry it till the outer surface is golden ✨. Do not burn it…keep stirring in between…on low- medium flame..
- Above step will take around 10-15 min. Then take out the potatoes & let it rest till we prepare our gravy..
- Take another kadhai and add 2Tbsp of oil, keep on medium flame. Add 1/2 cup khade masale and stir until you get the aroma.
- Add tomato paste, cook for 5-7 minutes, then add all species (except Garam masala),and keep stirring on low flame..
- Once u see oil oozing out of this mix, turn off the gas, let it cool down, in this time, mix curd & 1tsp jeera in a bowl and add it into the mix…keep stirring..
- Turn on the gas, keep in low flame, keep stirring, add cashew paste & mix till you get this consistency 👇🏻.
- In a frying pan, add 2tbsp of leftover oil, and add the previously fried potatoes…now shallow fry it in low flame for 10 mins..
- In the gravy mix, add salt as per your taste, 3 cups of water, stir it once, let it cook on low flame for 15 minutes.
- Now add 🥔baby potatoes in the mix & stir gently. Let it cook for 20 minutes..
- Add a pinch of sugar & mix.
- Add 1tbsp garam masala to the gravy and mix. Let it cook for 10 minutes then add 1tbsp of crushed kasuri methi, give it a gentle mix..
- Decorate with chopped coriander / fresh cream and ✨Aloor Dum✨ is ready!!!😋.
- ✍🏻 pricking potatoes with fork is an important step as it will help potatoes to absorb the gravy. ✍🏻If baby potatoes are not available then cut the potatoes into quarters (4 pieces from one.) ✍🏻If there is a high cholesterol patient in home / you do not want to do the 1st frying part….then just boil the peeled potatoes for an extra 5-7 min on low flame. Check if the potatoe is soft till inside….then put in the gravy. ✍🏻 Don't forget to enjoy!!❤💛.
The highlight is the caramelized effect of sugar in the gravy that adds to the taste. Bengali aloo dum also known as aloor dum or alur dom is a lightly spiced and slightly sweet potato curry made with onions, tomatoes and spices. When serving add a teaspoon of ghee on the aloor dum. Serve bengali alur dom hot with luchis or pooris. Aloo Dum is an easy Indian food recipe prepared with baby potatoes that are simmered in a yogurt based sauce and spiced with garam masala.